Tile Mural

Unknown Thursday, June 10, 2010
I forgot about this mural I did about 10 years ago. This is actually my first mural. The other mural that I posted that I said was my first was the first one I had done with regular paint. This is a tile mural. It is painted with china paints (like you see on decorative porcelain plates, tea cups, etc.) then fired. Each tile has been fired 4 to 5 times. The paints (which have an oily consistancy) are painted onto glazed tiles so it is a slick paint on a slick surface. People that are good at china painting can build up the color easily but as I tried to darken the colors, the previous paint would lift off unless it was made permanent by firing. This was a major undertaking which took 4 months of working on it every day. Since I find painting more fun than drawing, I would draw a few rows of the design and then paint the tiles. Then I drew a few more rows and painted some more. That kept me from getting bored.

I painted this when I was really into delicate flowers and softer colors. Below are a couple of close-ups.


Tile Mural
Image Size: Wall: 6' x 4', Floor: 3' x 4'
China paints on tile


Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment