Bowl with Lemons, still life 16x20 Acrylic on canvas

Unknown Sunday, January 1, 2012

For my first post for this year, I chose this still life painting of lemons in a white bowl. A few weeks ago, I began working on this painting in my home studio, where I created the set up on a small table. On that day, it was sunny outside and my studio was filled with lots of light coming in through the windows. The light cast shadows on the objects. I was particularly interested in doing this painting because I could also see the colorful reflected light inside the bowl that was caused by the lemons. Almost the entire painting is a series of thin glazes of paint, which is something that I don't always do in my paintings but now I think I'll be doing that more often. I used Golden's Acrylic Glazing Liquid (Gloss), which seems to make the colors pop and it extends the open time of acrylics. I got the idea to use the glazing liquid by watching an artist instructor use it in a workshop that I attended last year. I was recently asked by a friend, as to which part of the painting was the most difficult to paint. That would be the bowl I said. The bowl took the most time just to get the shape down but I hope the painting itself with it's bright and bold colors still looks very nice. And just for the record, I favor the color blue very much, can you tell!

Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment