Another Bird

Unknown Monday, January 16, 2012
This is a painting I started while we were in Mexico awhile ago when the only reference photos I had with me were birds of paradise.  I hadn't done much more that draw it and put an initial layer of paint in the sky and it looked like it was going to be way too tight so I attached rice paper to it and continued painting.

I love the effect with the rice paper.  I don't know why I don't do paintings with rice paper more often. It gives a softness and a nice textural quality that I can't get without it.  There are also goobers where the rice paper isn't attached completely so the paint spreads which for some reason, doesn't bother me.  It seems to go with the overall look.

The weather here has been so beautiful since before Christmas with temps in the 70s and 80s and almost balmy so working on a tropical painting seemed fitting.

Another Bird
Image Size 12" x 16"
Watercolor
Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment