Brussels Sprouts

Unknown Monday, June 25, 2012
Brussels sprouts seem to always get a bad rap so I've never felt the need to try them.  I was really intrigued when I saw the unique way they grow.  I never gave it any thought but if  I were asked how they grow I would have guessed that they grow close to the ground like a cabbage.

I was in Trader Joe's last November and saw the brussels sprouts for sale still attached to the stalks and decided they would be an interesting subject to paint.  When I took them up the the checkout, the cashier asked how I was going to prepare them and I said "Oh, I'm not going to eat them, I'm going to paint them".  He was appalled!  Then he asked me if I was going to at least compost them and I had to tell him no.  I felt so guilty as I left the store that I decided I would try to eat them even though I had negative feelings about them because I'd never met anyone who actually liked them.

I took lots of pictures of them to paint from since it usually takes me too long to paint something this detailed and I figured the only way these would have a chance of being tasty would be if they were really fresh.

To prepare them I cut them in half, tossed them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted them.  I must admit they were pretty tasty.  In fact, I had some again last night.  They probably won't become my favorite vegetable but I do like them.  If anyone has a good recipe for them, please share.  : )

This is a watercolor on 300# Arches rough.

Brussels Sprouts
Image Size 30" x 11"
Watercolor
Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment